Friday, February 1, 2013

Life is always full of new things these days. F is certainly turning into a toddler. She's beginning to try things like putting on her own socks or hats, patting her baby doll's back, giving kisses and hugs, brushing her own hair, and walking! Whoever coined the phrase "drunken sailor" for toddlers certainly phrased it well. Just last week she would only take 3-5 steps at a time. Now, she's walking through the whole house, but her gait is a wobbly one. She really does look like a drunken sailor who's about to be tossed from a ship that's being tossed and turned at sea during a storm. She does pretty well to pick herself right back up and move on in life, though. She's also beginning to say new words like dolly and eye. Another new thing is, "No." I know most people dread this phase of toddlers, but it's actually pretty nice for us. I appreciate a larger vocabulary. She doesn't seem to use it too much in deviance (I'm sure that's just around the corner though). But, she can now tell me that she doesn't want any more food (we're working on "No, thank you" - but, so far we only have the first word down:), if she wants her bottle, or if she wants to play with something (nodding is "yes," but we still can't get her to say it). The other day I was video taping her "playing" the piano, and she stopped as soon as she saw me and didn't start playing again. When I asked, "Are you done playing the piano?" She stared at me a moment and then softly said, "No." So, I encouraged her to keep playing, and she turned around and played. :) Happy moment...even when a child says, "No." :)

A new thing for me is that I've recently been reading the book "Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking." Very, very interesting. I almost want to read it again. Not only has it been an enjoyable read, but it's taken me back to all those fascinating Psychology courses I took during my college days. I really do enjoy analyzing personality types, and this lady does a good job of keeping her reader entertained while showing results of scientific tests. She starts off the book by talking about how the American society values the extrovert and fails to see the value of introverts and how around the 1920's we went from a "Culture of Character" to a "Culture of Personality." Personally, I think I agree with her in many of the points she makes in the first couple chapters. We often think that to be successful (however you define it), to be seen as intelligent, or to show that we care about something or someone we must be energetically engaged with other people, even though, some people prefer to make a difference in the world in other ways - like being alone in the office or home. She even has a chapter about the church-at-large in America showing that today's churches tend to believe that to be successful you must be loud. Sadly, I think she's right on this point, even if she isn't coming from a Christian perspective. God isn't looking for the most extroverted people, the flashiest programs, or the most entertaining worship services. (God certainly does use extroverted people in the church, but He also uses the quiet ones to accomplish His purposes.) The writer shares about her experiences and interactions with different people, scientists, professors, etc., so it definitely makes it more of an interesting and engaging read.

I'm not sure her background, although there does seem to be some Macro-Evolution and Liberalism sprinkled throughout her writings. I do think she gives some helpful (and some not so helpful, too) suggestions about how to interact with people who have a different personality than yourself. I keep thinking about different people I know and think, "Ah, so that's possibly why they act that way or say such and such." Either that, or face-palming myself for something stupid I said or did to an introvert sometime in the past.  According to her little test that I took twice on different days, I'm an ambivert (right in the middle), and I found myself nodding in agreement to both the introvert and extrovert dispositions she describes, thinking of how I fit certain molds. I really do love (and often prefer) those evenings of just sitting and talking with one person or being by myself, but I also seem to get much more energy from being around people (being home alone can be exhausting, in my own humble opinion:). I love psychology.

It has also made me notice Z's and F's social cues and tendencies. As I read the beginning of the book I realized how I have often dreamed throughout my life that I want my husband/children to be social butterflies. But, what if their not? Would I be just as thrilled? Do I think for a moment that being introverted will hinder their life? Or would I help them cultivate those personality types to use them for the glory of God? Z took the test and he's an introvert. :) I have often struggled particularly with how he often pauses in a conversation to form his thoughts. But, after reading this book and reflecting on his personality and the gifts God has given him, I'm so thankful he's an introvert. With F I'd already noticed some tendencies toward introversion. For example, I often (about once a day) find her lying on the floor in the middle of the room cuddling with her baby doll or some other stuffed animals. But, when I put her in her room she doesn't fall asleep. Within minutes I hear her talking quietly. After 30 or 40 minutes, she makes it known that she's ready to come out, and then she's as happy and as energetic as could be (Then, later she'll take her "real" nap). Sometimes she just needs to be alone. Could this be a sign of introversion? Perhaps. She also seems to be highly sensitive to people or noises around her, a characteristic I never really associated with introverts before reading this book. She does seems to love people, but she also seems to sleep a LOT after social interactions. I know that most babies are probably tired after social engagements - mostly because it's off their schedule, but it's just another thing that just makes me wonder.

There's a lot I've learned from my introvert friends, and I know there's a whole lot more that I can learn from them. So, I'm super thankful to have them, as well as my extrovert friends, around. :)

Today Z has an interview at a nearby college to be a part-time adjunct professor. We're not sure if this "new thing" will lead anywhere. But, we're praying that the Lord will lead during this time, trusting that He has it all planned out. :)

And, a new thing for our family is that we're currently on the lookout for tickets to Australia! Lord willing, we'll be there the whole summer (June - August). There's something bittersweet about being there for the whole summer. We're both really excited to go and be with Z's family (there's a lot you can learn about a spouse by being around their family for longer periods of time...picking up on all those family social/psychological cues...I'm super ready now that I've read that book. hehe.:). And, F and I are especially excited to meet, face-to-face, so many people in the church we've heard about, met on Skype, and prayed for over the years. We're also both looking forward to getting our very first passports and flying, not gonna lie. :) But, we will be sad to be away from our church-family and ministry here for so long, especially during a time when our pastor and his family will be moving away and a new pastor, Lord willing, arriving. But, God is gracious and good, and we're thankful for the things He allows us to do.


4 comments:

  1. That book has been on my "to-read" list for awhile! Can't wait to get on hands on it. We will be praying for Zachary's interview! Also, I had no idea you were planning to be gone for the whole summer -- we must get together before then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Tim Challies review of it? http://www.challies.com/christian-living/the-christian-introvert

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we didn't realize we'd be gone for the whole summer (or at all) until a couple weeks ago. I agree we must get together. Z already told me to just drive down some day (and that was a few days ago). :)

    Hmmm...I hadn't read that. But, I just finished reading it and agree with and appreciate his distinctions. Thanks for the link. :)

    ReplyDelete