Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A lot has happened since I last posted. Christmas has come and gone, and with it many family members and friends. I have a white front tooth instead of an ugly brown one (Z's surprise Christmas gift for me. Perfect. :). Our solar system and calendars have evoked a new year, 2013. And, in my mind, we're charging into the realness and relentlessness of winter. I have to admit, I usually don't care much for winter. It seems bitter cold even inside the house, and no amount of hot tea, exercise, sweaters, or space heaters seem to make up for the lack of warmth. I really just want to hibernate like a bear and never come out of my cave until the first tulip has sprung (often times I feel like a hibernating bear because I'm so unmotivated to get things done or even to do something as simple and necessary as drinking water).

But, then I just have to remind myself that without Winter, Spring wouldn't be a season of anticipation. In turn, Summer wouldn't be filled with the same sort of excitement and exuberance. And Fall, well, poor Fall would be forlorn without it's chilly partner (people and things do seem awfully lonely without someone to share something with). Plus, it wouldn't ever have to be Fall (or spring, for that matter) if we had no winter. :)
 
Perhaps, that isn't the way one should view Winter. After all, God perfectly designed it this way. So, maybe we should just be thankful for winter just because it's winter and not because of the things that come from winter.  Although, God does to allow some things to remain groaning for a time to show or give something that is even greater. :) Hmmm...

Whatever the reason we have to give thanks, I'm thankful too that during these winter months God continues to give us joy even in the little things. Things like a daughter who is learning to walk (even though it's still a bit wobbly :) and who now intentionally gives generous kisses by jutting out her mouth - which is sometimes puckered and sometimes wide open, a husband who was given the "Teacher of the Month" award at school today and continues to work so hard to provide for his family, the darkness waiting just a bit longer to close in around us in the evening, hot water, and good books.

What are you thankful for during Winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment