Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Couple Funnies

Sometimes my husband thinks I'm funnier than I think I am. I tell stories or make remarks without thinking about the pun involved. He always picks up on puns.

To give a bit of background, after F was born, the hospital told me about a breastfeeding support group that they offer for women during the baby's first year. I've gone off and on to weigh F on the scales and in hopes of meeting other moms. It wasn't as helpful as I had hoped with making new friends (too awkward, in my own estimation), but it's nice to be able to see how much and how fast F grows. Anyway, the other day I was telling Z about a conversation I had with a woman I met at MOPS (yes, I caved and joined a MOPS group last week, yet another attempt at meeting other moms in the area...hopefully this attempt is a bit more successful :). It went something like this:

Me: "Hi, I'm Flo."
Her: "Oh, I know you."
Me: "Oh, really? I'm sorry I don't seem to recognize you."
Her: "Oh, that's okay. But, you went to that breastfeeding support group, didn't you?"
Me: "Yeah, I went for a little bit. I go off and on to weigh my daughter, but don't go there too much these days."
Her: "Oh, I know what you mean. I was going pretty regularly, but I eventually weaned myself off..."

I don't think she realized her own pun and neither did I. When Z started laughing it took me a minute to comprehend why he was laughing.

--------

Last week was the first day of school for me. I'm teaching World History this year. :) I have to admit, it's a bit nerve wracking at times, but I think I'll enjoy teaching. I have a great group of kids, a sublime subject, and a solid support group. Couldn't ask for more, right?

Since I'm so young (and younger looking...when strangers guess my age they typically think I'm around 16 :) I decided to try my best and look as old as possible. I woke up early enough to put on make-up (shocker, I know.), do my hair, and slip on a pencil skirt with a blazer jacket. I felt like I had accomplished my goal. That is, until 5 minutes before class started.

With the help of one of my students I had my projector ready to roll and had a couple minutes to spare before class started. I used my free time to chat with a few of the students who had come in the room. After a minute or two a kid, who I had never met before, strolled in, looked around for a few seconds, and then collectively asked the group, "So, do you guys know what our teacher looks like?" One of his friends raised his eyebrows, pointed at me, and said, "That would be her," at the exact same time that I pointed to myself and said, "That would be me." He stood there for a moment as if he didn't know what to say and finally voiced, "Oh. Okay," while shaking his head. Smooth. Very smooth. Despite the fact that he made me realize I had failed in my aim to look older, I think I'm going to like this kid.




No comments:

Post a Comment