As a new mother I was quite encouraged by Strachan to persevere in prayer for my child (and future children). I have to admit I found her writing challenging to me because I don't pray as I should; and, I often squander time on other frivolous things when I should be praying. Even when I feel like I can't be doing anything (like feeding my child) I can always be praying which accomplishes much more than anything else. I thought I'd share a brief snippet of her writing.
"How understandable it is that the spiritually-minded mothers would bring their children to Christ for His blessing (Mark 10:13-17)! How difficult to understand that so many mothers who profess devotion to their children fail to do so today! The truly wealthy children, the children to be envied, are the children born of praying parents...Prayer prepares a child's heart for early conversion. Prayer can solve the many difficult problems of child rearing. Prayer enriches every single phase of a child's life. Prayer brings our children that 'blessing of the Lord, it makes rich, and he adds no sorrow to it' (Prov. 10:22)."
Another portion of the book focuses on preaching the Gospel to our children. So often it's easy to feel useless in the kingdom of God when I'm kept home or in the nursery with my child (countless moms have told me they have felt the same way). Not that I can't find ways to minister outside the home (I'm always brainstorming about this one...and it is a little more challenging with a nursing child), but, as a mother, my primary responsibility is with my child. Here's another snippet from the book:
"I love the story that has been told about Dwight L. Moody. Apparently, a zealous woman of a large family came to Mr. Moody with the news that God had called her to preach. Moody listened sympathetically. Then he said, "I agree with you. God has called you to preach. And your congregation is waiting for you outside - your six children."
I'm so thankful that my mother, who has taught me so much by her example, gave me this book. It has been such a blessing and encouragement to me as I learn how to be the mother God wants me to be.
Reading this made my day! Thanks for blogging! And thanks for being an amazing friend and encouragement!
ReplyDelete